NVIDIA artificially limiting hash rates in vBIOS
It was recently announced that NVIDIA will be artificially limiting the hash rate of the RTX 3060 when it detects Ethereum crypto mining. 

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia...r-gpu-line

I have many questions but one major one in my mind is if the vBIOS limiter implementation been done poorly?  Would it affect performance on hashcat hashes 17700 - 18000? Are we going to see more and more "crypto algorithms" being hit by this artificial limitation in the future?

Who are they to tell me what I can and can't run on my own card? Will they remove this limit when GPU supply increases?

Anyone able to test?
(02-26-2021, 06:55 AM)Zzzz Wrote: It was recently announced that NVIDIA will be artificially limiting the hash rate of the RTX 3060 when it detects Ethereum crypto mining. 

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia...r-gpu-line

I have many questions but one major one in my mind is if the vBIOS limiter implementation been done poorly?  Would it affect performance on hashcat hashes 17700 - 18000? Are we going to see more and more "crypto algorithms" being hit by this artificial limitation in the future?

Who are they to tell me what I can and can't run on my own card? Will they remove this limit when GPU supply increases?

Anyone able to test?

I am similarly interested in the effects of this rate limiting, particularly as we move towards the supposed 30xx Ti releases which are also expected to have these limiters. Has anyone seen anything yet?
There has been no indication that this affects us yet. I will be getting the newest GPU (3080Ti) on launch to test and confirm.
(04-28-2021, 07:14 PM)Chick3nman Wrote: There has been no indication that this affects us yet. I will be getting the newest GPU (3080Ti) on launch to test and confirm.

Sounds good, I look forward to your findings!
What the <expletive>? Why?

I wish they'd just sell the darn hardware and not decide what people do with it.