Low hashrate with GTX 1650 when using CUDA
Thank you both for stopping by. I'm sorry for this late reply. But yeah, having the proper CUDA SDK Toolkig version is essential for a proper operation of Hashcat. I had a first-hand experience with this not once but twice or even three times by now (I lost count).

In my early posts to the forum I was still inexperienced with Hashcat and I made a lot of assumptions about things. Like, for instance, you see me talk about CUDA and CUDA SDK Toolkit as two separate things, thinking that Open CL alone can leverage the chip level CUDA hardware, unaware that CUDA at the hardware level and CUDA SDK Toolkit are inseparable ant that the latter is mandatory to leverage that CUDA power. It's a proprietary technology NVIDIA holds dare, as far as I know (making assumptions again). As you use and work with a given technology or product, you grow with it, and with that comes experience and knowledge. That's where I am, still. (Aren't we all really just playing and learning?)

Meanwhile, I have purchased an RTX 3050, and then returned it because it was a bad value for my money. Especially after I learned about something called LHR (Low Hashing Rate) that NVIDIA has been imposing on all its more recent GPUs, effectively crippling them for any other use than playing stupid games. What's worse, the manufacturers did a crappy job at being transparent and letting you know about it, whether your particular model is LHR crippled or not. So it seemed like the best thing to do and just return the damn thing. I also had fan noise issues with it, so there's that too.

I purchased two used, cheap, yet still very powerful GTX 1070 and GTX 1070 Ti GPUs without the LHR nonsense. I have been using those since, with much better hashing rate at much lower investment cost and about the same running cost as RTX 3050. I still have the GTX 1650 but I use it only as a video card in one of my other computers.

But yeah, CUDA + CUDA SDK Toolkit = True, and you have to match the version numbers according to Hashcat requirements, and make sure they are installed cleanly.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Low hashrate with GTX 1650 when using CUDA - by meow - 06-14-2022, 12:21 AM