Collision or Wrong Hash Type?
I've been working with rules and options on Hashcat-plus trying to get smarter on how they function. In an effort to get some real-world hashes, I grabbed one of the recent pastebin dumps (which shall remain nameless unless requested). They were described as "unsalted MD5" so I ran them against -m 0 using d3ad0ne.rule and a multi-gigabyte wordlist.

This resulted in many of the hashes returning what appear to be random, six-character plain text solutions. I have no way of knowing if these are correct, but given the results of some successful attempts on other hash dumps, I don't think they are real solutions. I guess they could be real, randomly generated plain text but I find it odd that they are all exactly (only) six characters. And there are no non-random-looking solutions in the set.

I tried -m 500 and that didn't like the hashes at all. -m 2600 ran but didn't return any solutions; I didn't let it run extensively.

Any guesses on whether these are real, are simply collisions for basic MD5, or do I have the wrong hash type?

Messages In This Thread
Collision or Wrong Hash Type? - by baglock - 02-24-2013, 07:20 PM
RE: Collision or Wrong Hash Type? - by epixoip - 02-24-2013, 07:37 PM
RE: Collision or Wrong Hash Type? - by baglock - 02-24-2013, 08:08 PM