Curious about video driver crash requiring long system off-time
I said the fact was random, not the behavior, which is completely repeatable, though I don't understand it.  

RE:  The card  - probably not reference built - you are right (EVGA - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YDAY...ge_o08_s00) but it normally runs very cool.  Behavior exists regardless of clock speed and power draw on the GPU as far as I can tell, I can back it down to sub-reference speeds and voltage and it still does it if the GPU driver resets (this mainly happens if I accidentally run something that hits 3D while an ocl crack is running, like a game, or sometimes random software)  If I leave the box alone its fine for what I am currently doing (WPA).  I can avoid having driver crashes easily by using a 'niced' -w 1 flag.  I didn't buy it for cracking, I bought it for good FPS at 4k, the cracking is just something to fill downtime so I'm not worried if its not perfect, but it does make me curious about what is happening.

RE:  The power supply should be adequate.  At least the overall wattage, though I couldn't say to how much juice a single rail could provide.  I do know that I can run a OCL GPU crack (brute) simultaneous with a regular hashcrack CPU (dictionary) while overlocking the CPU without any problems - both run simultaneously at full speed.  IF the PSU was the problem I would expect that kicking off a high-cpu draw process would cause the reset/lock behavior but it doesn't.

Temperatures aren't too bad overall - well within tolerances even while running, its something else like an interrupt or DMA that is going bad IMO.  The only thing I'm wondering about is what there is that "pops" and needs to chill out for so long before resetting.  Everything can be at room temperature and it will still power back up in slow mode. I have only ever seen the driver reset while running oclHashCrack64 - never at any other times.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Curious about video driver crash requiring long system off-time - by hashhampster - 11-18-2015, 07:28 PM