nvidia-settings errors in Ubuntu 16
First of all, this is my fan speed script with my GTX 1080.  I run it prior to launching hashcat.

#!/bin/bash
nvidia-settings -a GPUFanControlState=1
nvidia-settings -a GPUTargetFanSpeed=75
nvidia-settings -a GPUPowerMizerMode=1
nvidia-settings -a GPUGraphicsClockOffset[3]=200

(yes, I'm only running 75 percent with my GPU fan; I never break 60C with a single GPU)

In Ubuntu 16, while trying to execute my fan speed script, I was getting this error:

"Failed to connect to Mir: Failed to connect to server socket"

I corrected the above error by running, "apt-get install unity8-desktop-session-mir"

*Edit on August 6th, 2017*

If you are running headless and before you install the unity8-desktop-session-mir package in order to correct the "Failed to connect to Mir:" issue, try exporting your DISPLAY environment variable first.

export DISPLAY=:0

*Edit on August 6th, 2017*

"nvidia-settings -a GPUFanControlState=1" and "nvidia-settings -a GPUPowerMizerMode=1" can now execute, but the other commands won't.

"nvidia-settings -a GPUTargetFanSpeed=75" returns with:
Quote:
ERROR: Error assigning value 75 to attribute 'GPUTargetFanSpeed' (hostname:0[fan:0]) as specified in assignment

'GPUTargetFanSpeed=75' (Unknown Error).

And "nvidia-settings -a GPUGraphicsClockOffset[3]=200" returns with:
Quote:** (nvidia-settings:2388): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Some other details about my environment follow:

I am attempting to run "headless" with lightdm set to auto login.  This worked flawlessly in Ubuntu 14, but doesn't seem to in 16.

/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
greeter-session=unity-greeter
user-session=openbox
autologin-user=myuser
autologin-user-timeout=0

On boot, with the above in my lightdm.conf, on boot, I get a window that says, "The system is running in low graphics mode"

I used to just get a black screen in Ubuntu 14 and everything worked.

When hashcat is done, I also want to be able to run my "back to normal" script:

nvidia-settings -a GPUGraphicsClockOffset[3]=0
nvidia-settings -a GPUPowerMizerMode=0
nvidia-settings -a GPUFanControlState=0

But I'm having some issue that I haven't identified yet.  

Any help is greatly appreciated since this is a show stopper for me.

Messages In This Thread
nvidia-settings errors in Ubuntu 16 - by devilsadvocate - 11-12-2016, 07:17 PM
RE: nvidia-settings errors in Ubuntu 16 - by red - 04-03-2017, 06:17 PM