10 years to crack a 13 character password?
Hey guys,

Just created an account, apologies if this isn't the correct forum to be posting in. Lately I have been experimenting with oclHashcat and cracking WPA2 passwords with The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) Linux.

I have an older Linksys E2500 test router that I have setup. The password is 13 characters, it uses ONLY Uppercase letters and Numbers. No special characters or lowercase letters. I have captured the handshake and have a capture file.

I am using a Nvidia 680GTX as the GPU. I am using Windows 10 64bit with the latest GPU drivers and using a hashcat GUI. When I use wordlists it runs at about 28,600 or so H/S I believe. It tears through word lists without any issues.

However I decided I wanted to learn how brute-forcing works and some of the techniques that go along with it. One in particular is the masking type of attack. I have read the wiki several times on this attack, and I have created a mask file for hashcat to use. 

Upon executing the task it gets up to about 28,800 H/S like normal, but hashcat estimates somewhere in the ballpark of 10 years to crack. My mask file looks like: ?u?d,?l?l?l?l?l?l?l?l?l?l?l?l?1

If I read the wiki correct, the mask file I wrote would mean, uppercase letters and numbers, 13 characters.  On the GUI I use for hashcat it gives me the option to key in the how many characters it would attack, like 1-8 or 1-13. Since I know the password is 13 I just put in 13-13.

Am I doing something wrong? Is my graphics card too old? Finally, if I am doing everything correctly, is 10 years about what it would really take? Additionally, is there anymore information I can offer that would help me locate my issue (if any)

Thank you!

Messages In This Thread
10 years to crack a 13 character password? - by potentshadow - 11-15-2016, 08:06 PM