Ubuntu 16.04 LTS NVIDIA Setup Guide
Some comments:
  • Which Ubuntu version is it, I'm using server, and people should do so, too, but it's nowhere written down
  • The document does in no way show how to install the most important opencl packages: ocl-icd-libopencl1 and clinfo - I think that's a very important part
  • You don't need to blacklist nouveau manually, the nvidia driver does that automatically while installing it
  • Why do you do ldconfig all the time, it's not required
  • apt-get install is missing some important packages i think. We should make it more complete to have less problems later when people are asking 1000's of questions. At least you refer xdm, but it's not part of your apt-get install line
  • You're missing some very important manual steps to do, for example this:
    Quote:cat > /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup << EOF
    export PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin
    export HOME=/root
    export DISPLAY=:0
    xset -dpms
    xset s off
    xhost +
    EOF
    Which is required to do fan speed control from hashcat via SSH and without logging into X11
  • Do not use any fan script, also do not recommend it,  hashcat manages the fans automatically and does it very good. I know for you it doesn't matter since your rigs run in a datacenter, but for most people it runs in the pc under their desk and they don't want to have 100% fan speed
  • No need to mention to install system management software, it's not part of this documention. The same goes for firewall
  • No need to re-execute the nvidia setup
  • The nvidia-xconfig section is good, but it lacks the sed command afterwards:

Quote:sed -i '/Driver/a \ \ \ \ Option         "Interactive" "False"' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Messages In This Thread
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS NVIDIA Setup Guide - by evilmog - 11-21-2016, 08:29 PM
RE: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS NVIDIA Setup Guide - by atom - 11-21-2016, 09:06 PM
RE: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS NVIDIA Setup Guide - by atom - 11-12-2017, 09:34 PM