mask help
Hi guys,

I'm a newbie with a problem. Some months ago I password protected a word 2013 document (because paranoia) and didn't write down the password. Of course I forgot the password and now I am getting a bit desperate as I need that doc for my job. 

This is how I got to hashcat. I looked up how this can be done, managed to extract the hash and got hashcat running and doing it's job. I believe that my password was strictly alphanumeric and of maximum 8 characters. I came up with this: 

hashcat64.exe -a 3 -m 9600 -o found.txt -1 ?l?d -i --increment-min=4 --increment-max=8 my_word_hash.txt 

However I have no ideea what I can do to improve the odds of finding the pass, although I am pretty sure that I did not put more then 1 numeric character in there somewhere (most likely either at the beginning of at the very end). When I start hashcat I get the following message:

The wordlist or mask you are using is too small.

Therefore, hashcat is unable to utilize the full parallelization power of your device(s).
The cracking speed will drop.
Workaround: https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=fre...full_speed

INFO: approaching final keyspace, workload adjusted

I am not sure that that means and although I did read online about this warning, tbh I feel like I am way out of my league here. 

If anyone could help with some advice, it would be very much appreciated. I would like to get a p2.x8large Amazon instance to try to get some juice under the hood for this job, but it would be nice to know that I am not throwing my hard earned money out the window with a poor hashcat request. 

Many thanks

Messages In This Thread
mask help - by zumba - 02-17-2017, 05:32 PM
RE: mask help - by royce - 02-17-2017, 06:45 PM
RE: mask help - by zumba - 02-19-2017, 04:08 PM
RE: mask help - by zumba - 02-19-2017, 04:14 PM
RE: mask help - by zumba - 02-19-2017, 04:23 PM
RE: mask help - by royce - 02-19-2017, 04:42 PM
RE: mask help - by miccee - 02-19-2017, 06:04 PM