Itunes Backup recovery strategy
(02-27-2017, 12:17 PM)atom Wrote: About your question: Yes wordlists can run only for a few seconds. See philsmd's note about how to add mutation rules. Also note that (in your command) you did not specify a wordlist in -a0 mode, which enables stdin mode. So hashcat is waiting for your input (or piped input).

The wordlist run was not included in what I posted since it was not mutated and only really verified the manual attempts I had already tried.  Using a more powerful machine since it will need to run and adding supported GPU option. 

(02-27-2017, 09:36 AM)philsmd Wrote: The best thing would be to try to remember as much as possible from the password:
- which characters were used (only lowercase characters? digits at the end? special charcaters at the end? uppercase characters at the beginning? etc)
- was it a passphrase or a password
- remember the (possibly exact) length of the password
- was it based on words which could be found in a dictionary
etc etc

Thanks for the information about mutation of word list.  I have determined same iPad is backed up on several machines and will try recovery on each. Failing that to work I will put hashcat back to work on it.

Thanks to you both.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Itunes Backup recovery strategy - by philsmd - 02-27-2017, 09:36 AM
RE: Itunes Backup recovery strategy - by atom - 02-27-2017, 12:17 PM
RE: Itunes Backup recovery strategy - by ensign.fodder - 03-01-2017, 07:28 AM