Hashcat Utilities List Cleaner
I was wondering if I could interest you in producing more hashcat utilities ? I understand this takes time away from your work with the hashcat suite but I personally believe it is of almost equal importance when trying to audit passwords.

There is a saying about computers, garbage in garbage out . This saying has equal meaning when applied to hashcatplus and WPA key finding.

In our case I am of course thinking about word lists and the rather low quality ones which seem to get passed about. Hashcatplus is only as good as the words provided so I hope you will turn your unrivalled skills in this direction.

If you ever dare to peer inside one of these multiple Giga-Byte word lists you will quickly see for yourself just how low quality some of them are. Many lines include text which falls outside of the ASCII printable character range which is phenomenally unlikely to be used in anyone’s password. Duplicate entries, multiple entries with only an appended number to separate them, random numbers, e-mail address’s, toggled case characters meaning even the smallest word sample is many GB’s in size and of course the poorly formatted text with tabs and spaces at either end.

Now you have kindly provided us with rules in hashcatplus we don’t need these huge lists so they can be dramatically reduced in size and probably cover more keyspace also.

What hashcatplus users need is a collection of base words, all lowercase without the modification of pre-pended / appended numbers or poor formatting for example (tabs and spaces, HTML code, e-mail address’s etc) and then let the rules do the work.

There are a few tools and scripts available which are either hard to use or don’t work properly, sometimes both !! Many times I have used these tools only to discover I have lost many good words from a list. However the biggest frustration is the lack of options and the ability to work with very large lists when the users computer has a modest amount of RAM.

Blazers tool ULM is the best there is for ease of use and options but it suffers from a few bugs which prevent its use in some situations. To compound the problems with ULM Blazer has stated that he intends to retire ULM and cease development, which is a great shame as he was doing so well with it. I think this is a significant loss to the community.

Would you please consider turning your talents towards helping hashcat users clean up these lists ? I appreciate that at first it may seem to be a waste of your abilities making a simple text file cleaner but without it I think hashcat is hindered by poor lists.

If you are interested in this perhaps you might like to take a look at ULM and all of its features. I am not asking, nor do I expect you to incorporate all of its features into hashcat utilities but some good “purifying” tools would be very helpful. Removing the entire line if it contained any non ASCII characters would be a great start !

I will try not to write too much about this now as it is a subject I can really get into, but I have many ideas and I will wait to see if this subject interests you before going further. I do hope this inspires you as your software has a feel of quality about it and I just don’t get that from the other scripts and tools available at the moment.

Thank you.

Messages In This Thread
Hashcat Utilities List Cleaner - by Hash-IT - 11-20-2011, 02:06 PM
RE: Hashcat Utilities List Cleaner - by atom - 11-20-2011, 04:39 PM
RE: Hashcat Utilities List Cleaner - by Hash-IT - 11-20-2011, 07:00 PM
RE: Hashcat Utilities List Cleaner - by c4p0ne - 11-20-2011, 07:00 PM
RE: Hashcat Utilities List Cleaner - by Hash-IT - 11-22-2011, 02:05 AM
RE: Hashcat Utilities List Cleaner - by Hash-IT - 11-22-2011, 04:51 AM
RE: Hashcat Utilities List Cleaner - by atom - 11-22-2011, 05:33 AM
RE: Hashcat Utilities List Cleaner - by Hash-IT - 11-22-2011, 01:29 PM
RE: Hashcat Utilities List Cleaner - by Hash-IT - 11-23-2011, 01:25 PM
RE: Hashcat Utilities List Cleaner - by Hash-IT - 11-24-2011, 05:27 PM