Plain Vmware image setup - anyone?
(09-01-2017, 05:21 AM)rsberzerker Wrote: >  but it would be easier to re-load Win 7, however, that of course kicks the counter and makes my current version no longer authorized, even if I could do it.

A little off topic but I once talked with MS's anti-piracy group about some bootleg copies of Windows Server something a client bought. The most memorable part of the conversation is when he mentioned that re-activating Windows ON THE EXACT SAME HARDWARE doesn't increment the counter unless it's a VLK, which yours is not (OEM from your post).

Secondly, rather than a VM route, why not just throw a second hard drive in there and but Ubuntu on that? Hard drives are cheap and it doesn't have to be a big one, or a new one. This would leave your existing Windows install un-touched.

Loaded a fresh Ubuntu on a SSD, updated the system packages, downloaded the git for hashcat, built it, and updated the drivers.  And ran the software - WITHOUT A SINGLE PROBLEM.  This is defiantly now a Windows driver, other software interference with OpenCL, or something I have not thought of.  But it's not the hardware card, nor my hardware.  That's a big check mark right there.

Admittedly - I didn't want to re-learn Unix, but I didn't need to do that much to get it up and running.  Just a small subset of the instructions floating around.  Now I'm setting up a conditional bash script and am just going to run these I build under Unix.  It's all the same to me, other than the comfort factor.

Thanks for the check mark.

B

Messages In This Thread
RE: Plain Vmware image setup - anyone? - by BobbyMac99 - 09-04-2017, 01:24 AM