Building a password rig with 0 success... help needed!
Sad 
I have been building a rig for four weeks with zero success.. 

So this is word vomit, but I'm dumping all of my info here, hoping someone can pinpoint some red flags or issues to avoid.. I need any help I can get. 

My first two weeks were screwing with AMD GPUs til I learned about PCIe Atomics - so I've since thrown those out of the equation. I'm now running with GTX 1070's and I have it limping along with the current setup: 
Windows 10
AMD Driver 436.48
Hashcat 5.1.0

This will 
- boot half the time
- perform at slow speeds (benchmarked WPA/2500 at about ~110kh/s... ~290kh/s is expected and ~360kh/s is achieved when only one card is running)
- randomly crash

On another note I completely hate Windows and would like this to work with some flavor of linux. 

I have tried: 
Ubuntu 14.04.6 server
Ubuntu 16.04 desktop
Ubuntu 18.04 desktop
Ubuntu 18.04 server
Parrot OS (forgot vers)

Each of the above, I've tried Nvidia drivers from apt packages, as well as installing directly from Nvidia. Specifically, I've tried to manually install 430.50 and 390.129 using the *.run installer and I've tried a flavor of drivers from apt packages. 

I have two motherboards/build that I've swapped out throughout my trials:
Setup 1. Used Mining Rig:
- BioStar TB250-BTC Motherboard
- Intel Celeron Processor (unknown)
- 8GB RAM (unknown)

Setup 2. New Build:
- MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus Motherboard
- Intel Core i5-9400 2.9GHz
- 2x16GB Corsair DDR4 RAM

Either setup would use PCIe risers, which I have about 20x of and I've swapped out to ensure functionality.