Help w/ build
Hello all,

I want to start a build but have some questions. I'm super familiar with most consumer PC components, and through my job as a sysadmin have built/fixed my share of workstations, but find myself lost when it comes to how to power a rig with 4-8 cards in it.

I want to build a cracking rig with 4x GPUs and possibly have room for expansion to eight. I've done a bit of reading and have an idea of what kind of CPU, RAM, etc., but I'm not sure how this works in terms of the PSU(s) and probably the motherboard too. Are there single PSUs that are large enough to power that many GPUs? Or do I need several PSUs?

If these builds need several PSUs, do they live in the chassis or are they external? Do I need a special motherboard to interface with multiple PSUs?

If anyone has a link to a blog or article that details each component of a cracking rig from the last year or two, I would love to take a look at it. Also, if anyone has recommendations on a rack-mounted chassis and motherboard, I would very much appreciate those as well! As I understand, I need a CPU with 10+ cores if I wanted to have 8 GPUs, so I've been leaning towards a 5900x, unless there's a Xeon build that will be cheaper (which I'm curious about given the motherboards that are made for Xeons vs consumer CPUs).

Lots of questions here, thanks for any answers!

Messages In This Thread
Help w/ build - by shmeckles - 10-29-2021, 05:57 PM
RE: Help w/ build - by NoReply - 10-29-2021, 07:44 PM
RE: Help w/ build - by shmeckles - 10-29-2021, 10:05 PM
RE: Help w/ build - by NoReply - 10-31-2021, 04:47 PM
RE: Help w/ build - by shmeckles - 10-31-2021, 08:19 PM
RE: Help w/ build - by shmeckles - 10-31-2021, 10:59 PM