sudden drop in cracking speed
Question 
Hey everyone

I've been using hashcat since 5.1 and still use the same hardware, namely a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (GPU) and an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 (CPU).
In those ~3 years, I've had a consistent speed of 30'000 MH/s on NTLM. Since ~1 year I also installed the recommended CUDA Toolkit and OpenCL Runtime, which improved the speed by a tiny bit.

Now, since 2 weeks or so, I'm only getting 600 kH/s when I try rockyou.txt on any NTLM hash. I didn't change anything on the hashcat installation nor did I alter drivers or anything. The weird thing is, that the benchmark still shows the normal speed of 30'000 MH/s. I researched on this and found some people saying that the speed drops if you don't provide enough work. However, I have cracked NTLM hashes in the past using rockyou.txt and have had a consistent speed of 30'000 MH/s and didn't experience any speed drop. I use the same commands I have also used in the past. Thus, this sudden drop in speed doesn't make any sense to me. I think it's also not a hardware issue, as the benchmark still shows the normal speed.
I reinstalled all drivers, CUDA, OpenCL and Hashcat as stated in the FAQ. This didn't change anything in speed. I also rolled back the last Windows Update, which sadly also didn't improve cracking speed. I've also tried older versions of hashcat, with no success.

To be clear, this is not limited to NTLM, I'm getting this behaviour on all hash modes. I just used NTLM as an example here. 

I uploaded the output of trying to crack a single NTLM hash and a benchmark output on gist:
cracking output: https://gist.github.com/githubkuyaya/339...5449d18974
benchmark output: https://gist.github.com/githubkuyaya/dc0...19546e8be3

Does anyone have an idea of what might be the cause of this?
I'm happy to provide more information/outputs if needed.

Messages In This Thread
sudden drop in cracking speed - by kuyaya - 11-17-2021, 10:54 PM
RE: sudden drop in cracking speed - by Chick3nman - 11-18-2021, 12:55 AM
RE: sudden drop in cracking speed - by NoReply - 11-18-2021, 01:10 AM
RE: sudden drop in cracking speed - by kuyaya - 11-18-2021, 10:44 PM