Need Help ATI drivers ubuntu 13.10 - Quad 7990 setup
Hello,

I've been using hashcat for a little over 2 years now, but I have gotten serious with it in the past 4 months. It's my favorite tool. I use it on two boxes for CTF competitions which I have one tomorrow!

For the past month, I've been wrestling with abnormalities running hashcat with different combinations of OSes (Windows 7 & Ubuntu 14.04, 14.10), AMD drivers (about 5 different versions),

While doing an incremental brute force (i.e. ?a) from 10 to 20 in length (yes I know it could take years, my objective is to stress test it, not to crack it) the abnormalities range from:
a) computer freezes
b) about 10 min to a couple of hours, GPUs working went from 4 to 3 or 1

So I finally decided to follow the wiki guide below, step-by-step given the fact that 'mtmhashcat' and I have the same AMD 7990 cards (I have two, he has four).

(01-20-2014, 09:33 AM)epixoip Wrote: http://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=linu...d_catalyst

After following all the steps, the job starts off by using all four GPUs (i.e. both cards), but 5 to 10 minutes into the job, 3 of my GPUs flat-line (i.e. 0% usage) and only one is working, when I hit 'q' to quit, the terminal freezes. If i start another terminal, and restart from the beginning (i.e. not restore, but a fresh start, note: I do not delete any generated/cache files from the previous job) this second terminal hangs after printing "generating tables" (or something similar, I'm writing from memory).

I am using oclHashcat for AMD v1.31. The command I use is the following:
Code:
oclHashcat64.bin -m 0 -a 3 -d 1,2,3,4 -p : --session=crypto8md5 --gpu-temp-disable --gpu-accel=800 --gpu-loops=1024 --username -o cracked.txt -i --increment-min=10 --increment-max=20 CRYPTO-8.md5hash.txt ?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a

It's worth mentioning that I don't think temperature is an issue given that I keep my GPUs nicely cooled.

Another angle to my problems could be BIOS settings? I don't know much about BIOS settings other than changing the boot priority. And I do remember I defaulted them a while back. I have a funny suspicion that I changed something inadvertently in some BIOS setting. Does anyone have any clues how to tweak BIOS settings to get a favorable result to the problem I'm having?

I'm really hoping somebody sees this message and has some insight on a solution to my problem.

In advanced, thank you very much! Hope to hear from you soon.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need Help ATI drivers ubuntu 13.10 - Quad 7990 setup - by CarlosV - 11-14-2014, 03:16 PM