lack of transpancey
Feel free to use jtr, no one here is stopping you.

*edit*

So I was just going to leave that snarky reply and close the thread, but then I got slightly agitated that you linked the thread where the answers are and claimed it was never answered. So... I am just going to paste the relevant part.

(10-12-2013, 09:15 PM)atom Wrote: I usually do not like to talk about why is hashcat not open source, because people are very stubborn when it comes to this question. There are 1000 arguments for and against open source (or closed source) and each side is unwilling to accept the other sides arguements. It's a dead end discussion and the only thing you can do when you talk about is to burn your hands on it.

I'm a big fan of open source myself. I profit from it. I use linux, I use gcc, I use GNU stuff, and thousands of other open source products. I'm not a guy who is only taking. I publish how to do optimizations in theory and in examples, as well as Ideas for attacks, as well as real code. Some of the hashcat projects are open source, like hashcat-utils, oclGaussCrack, fgets-sse2, etc.

However, i liked two arguments here. The one was that hashcat does not need to be open source. That's right. The other one was that micromanagement and a small team of very good developers make can make a superior product. I think both are correct and reflect more or less my opinion.

*edit 2*

To expand on that statement, atom is the primary driving force for anything hashcat related, with a very small (4) group of us that contribute to various aspects.

Without this trying to sound like a personal attack, if you had any sense what so ever, you could see that nothing is happening behind the scenes. Watch netstat, watch process lists, watch anything that monitors what is happening while its running and you will come up with nothing. If there were a backdoor, or exploit, or something of that nature, it would be in AMD or NVIDIA's drivers, something we have no control over since it uses binary blobs.

Messages In This Thread
lack of transpancey - by xocel - 01-30-2014, 02:25 AM
RE: lack of transpancey - by radix - 01-30-2014, 02:31 AM
RE: lack of transpancey - by epixoip - 01-30-2014, 06:19 AM
RE: lack of transpancey - by Kuci - 02-01-2014, 10:37 PM
RE: lack of transpancey - by magnum - 02-03-2014, 02:36 AM
RE: lack of transpancey - by Kuci - 02-03-2014, 09:41 PM
RE: lack of transpancey - by magnum - 02-04-2014, 01:04 AM
RE: lack of transpancey - by Kuci - 02-04-2014, 06:55 AM