Ubuntu 16.04 - fglrx is deprecated - is "radeon" driver OK these days?
Hmm, it seems installing fglrx on Ubuntu 16.04 isn't that easy, even manually.

I'm attempting to follow the instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/AMD

I had to rename the unzipped script, not sure if it didn't like the path length or something. But even then, when you try to run it:
Code:
victorhooi@Cruncher:~/Downloads/fglrx-15.302$ ./blah.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/xenial
Created directory fglrx-install.ZaUsp7
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing AMD Proprietary Driver-15.302...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
=====================================================================
AMD  Proprietary Driver Installer/Packager
=====================================================================
Generating package: Ubuntu/xenial
Resolving build dependencies...
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package Unmet
E: Unable to locate package build
E: Unable to locate package dependencies
Unable to resolve  Unmet build dependencies.  Please manually install and try again.

Using "Ubuntu/trusty" instead of "Ubuntu/xenial" results in the same output - I'm guessing it might be some change in Xenial which breaks the script?

Unfortunately, there's no logfile that I can see, or any option to enable more verbose output?

Just for kicks, I did try running oclHashcat first - I get:

Code:
victorhooi@Cruncher:~/Downloads/oclHashcat-2.01$ ./oclHashcat64.bin
./oclHashcat64.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libOpenCL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Has anybody gotten flgrx and oclHashcat running successfully on Ubuntu 16.04 yet?

From reading online, apparently AMD is releasing a new Catalyst package sometime this year that is based on the open-source radeon driver - not sure if that will have OpenCL support though?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ubuntu 16.04 - fglrx is deprecated - is "radeon" driver OK these days? - by victorhooi - 04-25-2016, 12:48 PM