Password recovery - 3 attack avenues?
First of all, I apologise for asking for help on something like this.
Let's just say I am no IT guru!

Here's the beef:

I have used the same 14-character passphrase on a GPG private key, a Veracrypt file container and pCloud crypto cloud storage.

I cannot export the GPG private key without the passphrase.

I recall that the password consists of all small alphabetical characters (a-z) and ends with the numbers 2015.
It is also very likely that it starts with an 'a' and there are no spaces or special characters.

So basically there are 9 a-z characters that are the unknown variables in the middle.

Obviously, I cannot for the life of me remember what those are.

I would assume that for someone with the requisite knowledge it would be relatively straight forward to:

1) Come up with an appropriate word list that covers the above variables,
2) Work out which of the above three options would be the best/easiest to brute force using that word list, and
3) Run hashcat with those parameters.

I use Arch Linux on all my computers so I'm not totally ignorant, but this is certainly above my head. I can live without the PGP key (easy enough to make a new one) but the Veracrypt and pCloud have some documents that i would very much like to recover.

Because it's documents only, the Veracrypt file container is just 3 MB in size - although I'm not sure if this makes any difference to getting into it.

I would be grateful for any suggestions, thank you.

Messages In This Thread
Password recovery - 3 attack avenues? - by John_Bayley - 05-18-2020, 12:35 AM