Done my research, now I need a review. 20 GPU cracking cluster.
Thanks for all the replies!  Good stuff!

I reached out to Sagitta for a quote on a box with 980 TIs.  There's definitely something to be said about getting a pre-built box even if it's a tab more expensive (less overhead and hassle).

(02-07-2016, 05:49 PM)epixoip Wrote: Certainly doesn't seem like you've done your research, none of the components in your proposed build make any sense.

That's not what I want to hear from someone with a "hardware guru" tag under their name!!  Making me nervous man... Tongue

So, do you mind if we step through it all?  I know I didn't give any details about why we selected the various components, but I think it might be time to do that.

So first of all, the GPU was selected based on benchmarks found here in these forums.  Price/performance was definitely considered, but we're not pinching pennies too hard here.  The goal was to make something that would last (lol, loaded statement for anything IT related, I know).  The processor was chosen because of the amount of PCIE lanes it has.  From what I am reading, the GTX 980 TI will not run in a PCIE slot running under 8x so a compatible proc and mobo is required.  Please correct me if I'm wrong here.  Yes, I get it.  I know the PCIE speed doesn't matter in this application, but it does if the card won't even post.  Again, please let me know if I'm way off here.

Power supply was selected for the +12v rails and efficiency rating.  Each system will have two since it's never really a good idea to run a PS at full load all the time.  We'll figure out how we're going to split up the power consumption once we get the build going.

Hard drives were selected because we wanted to load up a few rainbow tables while we were at it to knock out the low-hanging-fruit.  I don't think each system needs them though, so maybe we just just load up one with a few larger hard drives.

Flomac Wrote:if you you want to cluster 5 hosts and share the load, which software do you want to use with hashcat? hashtopus is a nice piece of software, but spending 30K and then rely on an free soft project you have to be some sort of a chancer.

The only reliable working alternative is hashstack, which is binded to Sagitta systems.

That's actually a good point that I didn't consider.  In your experience, has hashtopus been well-maintained?  This might actually be the thing that sways us into going with the sagitta box instead.  Again, like I said (and like you implied), there's a lot to be said about getting a pre-built and SUPPORTED product instead of putting something together on our own when considering the price tag.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Done my research, now I need a review. 20 GPU cracking cluster. - by concedonulli - 02-08-2016, 07:11 PM