Where to ask about what version of Hashcat to use for Radeon HD 5000 series?
I read the rules. It says not to ask how to get your old GPU working with hashcat.

So I'm asking where is the appropriate place to ask?

I cant seem to get is working on the latest hashcat, so I am as we speak trying to use some older versions to see if any do work with it. I have 6.2.6 and it always skips my GPU. Ive tried many things, and I when I search for info on getting this GPU to work with hashcat, the only thing I seem have gained knowledge-wise is that maybe I should try hashcat 3.2?

Thanks
Well I finally was able to get it working on Hashcat 3.20.

I wish I would have kept better notes, because I have a spreadsheet I put some data into to track which drivers had what behavior. I tried every possible combination of driver for this GPU, in combination with all the newest OpenCL runtimes, and I tried every Hashcat from 6.0+. The only way I can get the GPU to work is by using an older verion of hashcat. I havent tried anything other than 3.20 though. Once I got it working I went ahead and let it run the last few days to crack my Netgear wifi. I want to try other Hashcat versions above 3.20, but below 6.0 to see if there is any, if any, improvement over the hash speed I am getting now, which is around 12k H/sec.

When I run the benchmark, I can get it to utilize both the GPU and the CPU..and it benchmarks at 18k H/sec. But I havent been able to get that to work when actually running Hashcat to crack anything. I get one error or another.

For anyone else I should report back:

Any combination of drivers/runtimes using the latest OpenCL runtime for Core/Xeon CPUs will not work.

The following OpenCL runtime did work:

The following AMD driver did work:
AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 WHQL

I tried these and did not have any success:
Crimson Edition 16.2.1 beta
Crimson ReLive 16.2.1

Just for kicks I tried some newer drivers, GPU not supported on these:
Adrenalin Edition 24.3.1
Adrenalin Edition 22.5.1

I did also want to note that if you install the GPU driver, and then it doesn't work, try reinstalling the OpenCL runtime. That works for me.

If I had kept better notes I could report back some other things I tried, but I don't want to post anything I am not sure of. I tried so many things it is hard to remember it all with clarity.
Man, you went thru a lot of effort to get some minimal numbers lol. Literally most modern day CPUs will out perform that graphics card. I remember having an HD 5770 which would pump out 35-40K so not sure what model you have but damn those are some shitty numbers lol.

Pretty sure you can pickup a modern graphics card which meets all the requirements for $30-40 such as a GTX 1060 3GB or RX 570 and be able to use the most recent version of hashcat.