8x GTX780 problem
Tyan FT77A-B7059 chassis, two Xeon E5-2603 CPUs, 4x8GB RDIMMs, 8x EVGA GeForce GTX780 cards. BIOS is set to 64-bit resources, onboard VGA disabled, VT disabled, VT-d disabled, MMIOH size set to 128G, everything else I could find disabled as well, but I can't get the 8th GPU to work - Windows reports code 43 on the 3rd card in device manager. The card is fine - if I disable another card (for example, #4), then disable and re-enable #3, it comes up fine, but if I subsequently re-enable #4, then it reports error 43. Basically, whichever card comes up 8th in a system with seven cards, fails to do so. Tried different versions of NVidia driver, but that didn't help either. I know people are running these systems with eight cards... what's the secret sauce?
I doubt anyone uses Windows with Tyan :/
Running them with eight AMD cards, yes. Eight Nvidia cards, not so much. Not with Windows anyway. I don't know of anyone who has gotten eight Nvidia GPUs to work in Windows on the Tyan chassis. I have seen lots of "help this doesn't work!" posts though, with no resolution. Which begs the question, why would you build a system like that and populate it with Nvidia GPUs?
(11-04-2013, 11:28 AM)epixoip Wrote: Running them with eight AMD cards, yes. Eight Nvidia cards, not so much. Not with Windows anyway. I don't know of anyone who has gotten eight Nvidia GPUs to work in Windows on the Tyan chassis. I have seen lots of "help this doesn't work!" posts though, with no resolution. Which begs the question, why would you build a system like that and populate it with Nvidia GPUs?

It's not actually for hashcat - I just stumbled upon this forum through Google searches. The target application for this system is Octane Render, which requires CUDA, and only uses single precision, so GTX 780 is the most cost effective card currently on the market.

I guess the 8th card will have to go into another box then.
ah ok, that makes sense Smile well it looks like octane render runs on linux. any reason you have to use windows?
(11-05-2013, 02:14 AM)epixoip Wrote: ah ok, that makes sense Smile well it looks like octane render runs on linux. any reason you have to use windows?

The standalone engine does, but the plugin for Maya is Windows-only, and it's a necessary part of the workflow.
Little late reply but we got 8 GTX580 cards working in Tyan running Windows 7 but we have the older FT72. I can always check our BIOS settings.

(11-03-2013, 10:27 PM)Barmaglot Wrote: Tyan FT77A-B7059 chassis, two Xeon E5-2603 CPUs, 4x8GB RDIMMs, 8x EVGA GeForce GTX780 cards. BIOS is set to 64-bit resources, onboard VGA disabled, VT disabled, VT-d disabled, MMIOH size set to 128G, everything else I could find disabled as well, but I can't get the 8th GPU to work - Windows reports code 43 on the 3rd card in device manager. The card is fine - if I disable another card (for example, #4), then disable and re-enable #3, it comes up fine, but if I subsequently re-enable #4, then it reports error 43. Basically, whichever card comes up 8th in a system with seven cards, fails to do so. Tried different versions of NVidia driver, but that didn't help either. I know people are running these systems with eight cards... what's the secret sauce?
That's interesting... management here is already talking about getting another such chassis, maybe we ought to try sourcing an FT72 rather than an FT77 - CPUs and RAM don't really matter, all we need is single precision CUDA power.
I doubt the FT72 is the solution, since if anything the FT77 is more equipped to handle a large number of PCIe devices due the fact that it uses UEFI and supports above 4G decoding.

The things that likely are a factor are the specific versions of Windows (home, pro, ent, etc), specific driver version, etc.
Huh - now that you mention it, I was using BIOS booting rather than UEFI, which might have something to do with it. Also, I was informed yesterday that a Linux version of the Maya plugin has just been released, which makes a Linux installation an option. Regardless, this system is already in production with seven cards, but I'll have ample opportunity to experiment on the next one.