clGetPlatformIDs() -1001 with Radeon
The info I found on this error via Google says it's an nVidia drive problem, but I have ATI card + APU. I tried the Catalyst 11.4 driver and got the error, so on a whim uninstalled that and tried the 11.9 driver, same error.

I have the AMD APP SDK 2.4 installed. The hardware is A8 3850 APU (67xx series Radeon?) and Radeon HD 6950. Strangely aticonfig --lsa only ever shows me 1 adapter at a time, regardless of which one I have set to primary in the BIOS. I can use either one for the primary display. I have tried hooking up two monitors because I don't have a spare.

Any ideas?
Well I'm an idiot. I was reading wrong documentation and didn't extract the icd-registration file to the right place. For anyone else as dumb as I am, with SDK 2.4 you need to do:
$ sudo tar xzf icd-registration.tgz -C /

OK, so now the APU works, but oclHashcat-lite isn't seeing the 6950 (even though that is running the display). Hints?
OK, my last two mistakes were not having a dummy plug and not having two screens defined in xorg.conf. After I fixed those I'm getting both GPUs.

I was actually wrong before, the 6950 was being used, it was the APU that wasn't active for ocl.

Running oclExample.sh with oclHashcat-lite64 yielded about 5.3B hashes/s (I believe that's about 1B faster than the 6950 alone).

Thanks for the awesome tools atom!
thanks for the feedback Smile

i wished the installation of AMD's SDK would be easier. especially the ICD registration can become tricky if you are not an experienced user. but seems you managed it. welcome to hashcat world