hashcat Forum

Full Version: Drivers for multiple (different) GPUs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just a quick question about using multiple GPUs if they are different. Do we need to have multiple drivers installed for each one or does hashcat work around that?

Wanted to try using a few I had laying around.
Put all the hardware into your rig and install the drivers necessary for the brand. The requirements are posted on the homepage, Nvidia works best with CUDA and AMD works with OpenCL so make sure to have the appropriate drivers for either or. If you have a batch of Nvidia cards that are the same series then you can simply install the CUDA SDK once or the Nvidia Drivers once and they will all be detected.
Anyone knows if different gen cards create an issue with the drivers? I have two cards in a system one is a 1080ti the other an RTX 2060. Monitor is plugged in the 1080ti but I can't get the OS to see both cards at the same time. I uninstalled old drivers, reinstalled new ones from Nvidia, installed Windows update driver still nothing. It only sees the 1080ti and the 2060 has an exclamation mark in the device manager.
(10-18-2023, 04:10 AM)jim5 Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone knows if different gen cards create an issue with the drivers? I have two cards in a system one is a 1080ti the other an RTX 2060. Monitor is plugged in the 1080ti but I can't get the OS to see both cards at the same time. I uninstalled old drivers, reinstalled new ones from Nvidia, installed Windows update driver still nothing. It only sees the 1080ti and the 2060 has an exclamation mark in the device manager.

does the 2060 need an extra power connector? or maybe your PSU doesnt have enough watt to power both of them, did you tried just running the 2060 alone?
It does yes but it's plugged in. I have a Corsair 1200W PSU so no issues there. The card shows up in device manager is just that the OS ignores it and refuses to load the driver for it. The card is shown with an exclamation mark in device mamager
(10-18-2023, 11:35 PM)jim5 Wrote: [ -> ]The card is shown with an exclamation mark in device manager

Are you directly mounted to the motherboard for both cards or using risers?
(10-19-2023, 03:43 AM)slyexe Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-18-2023, 11:35 PM)jim5 Wrote: [ -> ]The card is shown with an exclamation mark in device manager

Are you directly mounted to the motherboard for both cards or using risers?
Directly on the motherboard in the PCI slots, one in one slot and the other in another. No fancy setups, nothing. Board is an Asrock H170 Pro4S with an I7 seventh gen. My suspicion is with the OS Win10 and I would boot with a Linux usb stick but the pain of juggling with the drivers on a partial boot ugh. I am just hoping I am doing something wrong and someone will point it out. Anyone has different gen cards with no issues? Like a GTX with an RTX?? I attached a pic of the setup.
Both cards support CUDA so if you install the CUDA SDK as long as the card is detected (graphic drivers or not) the CUDA SDK should enable the card to be used by hashcat.

Otherwise, I think the problem is that the RTX card will have newer Nvidia drivers than the 1080TI can support. So, I'd suspect a proper sequence of installation may be required. So I would install the RTX alone in the PC and confirm its working appropriately. Once that has been confirmed, add the 1080TI alone and install the drivers for it. Reboot and add the 2060 back in and should be good to go.
CUDA was installed and also reinstalled but again sees only one card, just the 1080ti. That is a good idea I will try and remove the 1080ti and move forward with the 2060 alone and once I get that started I'll see how it goes. I booted with a The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) stick and lspci lists both cards again. I'll follow your suggestion and will report back.