hashcat Forum

Full Version: oclHashCat vs WPA @ 9700 H/s
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have an older system (dual-core Nvidia 250 GTS) and a newer system (quad-core Nvidia 650 GTX) and they are both scoring about the same in oclHashCat against WPA dictionary attack (approx. 9700 H/s). This doesn't seem right, I'd expect the 650GTX to smoke the 250GTS... yes? is something capping me? what kind of performance should I expect on these cards? (note I've been launching oclhashcat from the Windows GUI)

What am I missing? Anyone have a good noob guide/link for oclhashcat against wpa? Any links to wpa benchmarks on various cards? etc etc...

Thanks in advance!!!!
the GTX 650 should be only slightly faster than the 250 GTS. it certainly wouldn't smoke it, they're both low-mid range cards with very similar processing power. it also doesn't help that they're both nvidia.

9-10 KH/s is right about what you should be getting with those cards. you might be able to get a little bit more performance out of them by using the appropriate -n and -u values, and sorting your wordlists by length.
(05-14-2014, 07:56 AM)epixoip Wrote: [ -> ]the GTX 650 should be only slightly faster than the 250 GTS. it certainly wouldn't smoke it, they're both low-mid range cards with very similar processing power. it also doesn't help that they're both nvidia.

9-10 KH/s is right about what you should be getting with those cards. you might be able to get a little bit more performance out of them by using the appropriate -n and -u values, and sorting your wordlists by length.

Good info, thanks for the reply.

Two Questions: (1) when you said "it doesn't help that their both nvidia", are you saying that AMD is better (more bang for the buck) at this kind of work? (2) If I were to go out and spend $150-$200 on a card today approx what kind of scores could I expect? 12KH/s? 15? 20? etc
not just perf per dollar, but nvidia has yet to even match amd's performance.

with your budget i'd recommend going with a used gpu. you can use this table to get an idea of how each card performs http://www.golubev.com/gpuest.htm
Ebay is great for used GPU's..
(05-15-2014, 07:47 AM)epixoip Wrote: [ -> ]usehttp://www.golubev.com/gpuest.htm

That link was exactly what I needed, thanks.