hashcat Forum

Full Version: hashcat and linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi
I am new with hashcat.
I tested hashcat with mask on windows 8.1 and on The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) linux(virtual mashine)
both 64 bit

I started same command in both machines and I was wondering why windows with 8 cores takes longer
than virtual machine with 3.

little comparison and I noticed that in linux it only uses 6 character mask.

command I started in both is same(below)
hashcat -m 0 -a 3 md5_hash.txt ?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a

mask is 8 characters long, but linux side it uses only 6, is there bug in linux version or am I missing something?

file contains 3 simple passwords that are hashed with md5
hashcat command line version applies masks of incremental lengths, i.e. first try ?a than ?a?a, etc. Seems like ?a?a?a?a?a?a [6] is taking a long time (no surprise there) so add "--pw-min=8" to jump straight to 8 character. There's also a --pw-max option if you want to use that.

So try:
hashcat -m 0 -a 3 --pw-min=8 md5_hash.txt ?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a
thanks I will try that and
I had that min-pw parameter earlier.
I understood that min-pw=6 will skip passwords less than 6 character long passwords.

But
I executed hashcat in both from command line.

linux versio says "input mode: mask (?a?a?a?a?a?a) [6]"
even in command line I have 8x ?a
also estimation time was something like 15-18 hours

on windows
same command says "input mode: mask (?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a) [8]"
estimation time is 194 days 2 hours ....

only difference is that linux is running in virtual machine.
I will try same command at home where I have linux installed straight in computer
(08-21-2015, 11:57 AM)kirini Wrote: [ -> ]I had that min-pw parameter earlier.

Well it wasn't there in the command you posted. You should really copy-paste the EXACT command you're using otherwise you will just waste people's time. I'm still not convinced your command is correct...
Just make sure you have put --pw-min=8 in the command line of both computers. I bet you forgot to add it to the one displaying 6 x ?a.
no I did not forgot.
What I ment with "i use to have" I mean that I first excecuted that command including min-pw=6
I stopped that and then I started same command without min-pw parameter.

anyway just made new test.
it seems that input mode shows how long password it is testing.
so when it say [6] it is only going thru 6 char long password.

5 character long goes thru in <10min so I probably missed that earlier.

but now I wonder why in windows side it goes straight to 8 char long passwords, it skips 1-7 character long passwords.

I probably have to do some testing and take screenshots.
It is also important that you let us know about the exact version(s) of cpu hashcat. And try with the newest version (download, extract and run it).

The reason for this is: cpu hashcat previous to 0.50 did increment (-i or --increment) by default. So you might just didn't see that it started with length 1, then 2, then 3 ... (very quickly) and finally did take some more time on 6 char long passwords.

Newest cpu hashcat version have --increment, --increment-min and --increment-max similar to oclHashcat (and they do not increment the mask by default, but start at *exactly* the length of the mask if no -i or --increment was specified).

@mastercracker: --pw-min parameter does not exist anymore, it was replaced (as mentioned above, in the changes.txt file and release notes with --increment-min)