hashcat Forum

Full Version: Low CPU Utilization - OpenCL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm running OpenCL across my Intel i9 CPU and dual GPU cards.  GPU cards are running at expected 50'ish MH/s, however, the CPU is running very slow around 4 MH/s with standard descrypt.  I've removed, reinstalled, and made sure all drivers are up to date.  I can't figure out why the CPU isn't running at the expected 45-50 MH/s.

Thoughts?
why do you expect your cpu speed to equal the gpu speed?
Gpus are capable of up to 1000x the speed of a cpu. Depending on the hash algorithm it can run at 40mh/s on a cpu but will run 40gh/s on a GPU. Your speeds are as expected. You didn't post what GPU and CPU to compare. But if you run hashcat -b you can see how good each piece of hardware is in comparison
Thanks and sorry for lack of data. One area of comparison. With john (CPU) i achieve 40 MH/s for DES. That was a comparison I was looking for against Hashcat with GPU additional benefit. With a drop to support GPU management, I would expect, but not down to 10% of what straight John + CPU would give me. That's why I ask.

OpenCL Platform #1: NVIDIA Corporation
======================================
* Device #1: GeForce GTX 1050, 512/2048 MB allocatable, 5MCU
* Device #2: GeForce GTX 1050, 512/2048 MB allocatable, 5MCU

OpenCL Platform #2: Intel(R) Corporation
========================================
* Device #3: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7920X CPU @ 2.90GHz, 8115/32461 MB allocatable, 24MCU

from -b

Hashmode: 1500 - descrypt, DES (Unix), Traditional DES

Speed.Dev.#1.....: 233.6 MH/s (89.56ms)
Speed.Dev.#2.....: 239.5 MH/s (87.44ms)
Speed.Dev.#3.....: 17406.7 kH/s (95.70ms)
Speed.Dev.#*.....: 490.4 MH/s