Please help: 2 of the 4 290X are way too slow when performing dictionary attack
(07-23-2014, 09:24 AM)epixoip Wrote: gaming is nothing like compute, you cannot compare the two.

no, it is not constantly streaming like video games. if it was, you wouldn't get any gpu acceleration. use stdin mode on a fast hash and you will see what i mean. the host-device transfers add a shitload of overhead, regardless of bus speed. i'd suggest brushing up on your OpenCL.

USB speeds are irrelevant. the USB risers do not actually use USB. they simply make use of the size and flexibility of a USB cable.

no, it's not false. for these purposes, there's not a whole lot of difference in running off a 1x slot than a 16x slot. you can run off of a 1x slot just fine.

you took my entire post out of context -_-

I was not comparing them to begin with. I was making an example of a process that is limited by bandwidth. I stated i don't know if hashcat is similar or not but something to make sure you dont over look -_-

1)I was just making the point that usb 3.0 is faster then 1x
1a) i never said it was false i just pointed out that 1x and 16x are drastically different in speeds but i also said i dont know if that is relevant in this process.
2)i dont know how hashcat works intimately hence why i said i dont know and i posted what i at least know in hope of helping him. (trying to not let anything get over looked...you know proper trouble shooting)

For all i know the GPU may have to communicate with the CPU or the RAM or the other GPUs constantly but if it is a completely contained process then it is irrelevant, which i guess it is. shesh

Messages In This Thread
RE: Please help: 2 of the 4 290X are way too slow when performing dictionary attack - by SomeGuy - 07-23-2014, 09:17 PM