Putting a pause on a session
Hi, I'm trying to crack the password on my ios backup and I've had the hashcat session running for a while now, but I was wondering if there's anyway I can put a pause to it and restore it later cause I want to give my computer a shutdown to cool off for a bit. Is there a way I can restore the progress after I shut my computer down or do I just have to keep my computer on to keep the progress I already have?
Press 'c' and wait for hashcat to quit. The next time run 'hashcat --restore'.
(09-23-2024, 03:56 AM)buka Wrote: Press 'c' and wait for hashcat to quit. The next time run 'hashcat --restore'.

Okay. Thank you! How long does it take until it reaches a checkpoint?
A couple of things.

The top line on the Status display shows the session name. It defaults to the name "hashcat". If you checkpoint (c) your current ios run, the session name will be "hashcat". If you were to run some other cracking session, (different from your ios run) you would lose what you had saved in your ios run, named "hashcat", as the new session, also called "hashcat" would override the previous "hashcat" session.

Best to give your run a unique session name if you are going to start a long run and possibly pause with checkpoint (c). For example, if you want to call your session "ios", in your command line type "--session ios". Ex.= "hashcat -m 1400 -a 3 --session ios backup.txt ?d?d?d?d?d?d" (No parentheses). You should see "ios" on the top line in the Status menu (s) when running.

Then to re-start the ios session you would type "hashcat --session ios --restore". This way you can use Hashcat for other runs, and then come back to your "ios" session when you please.

On the Status menu you can see the "Progress" and "Restore Point" percentages. Usually the restore point is within a few percentages of the progress point. So the time from using checkpoint (c) to the session stopping is usually a minute a two. A larger separation of the percentage would take a little longer.
(09-23-2024, 07:29 PM)Spliceguy Wrote: A couple of things.

The top line on the Status display shows the session name. It defaults to the name "hashcat". If you checkpoint (c) your current ios run, the session name will be "hashcat". If you were to run some other cracking session, (different from your ios run) you would lose what you had saved in your ios run, named "hashcat", as the new session, also called "hashcat" would override the previous "hashcat" session.

Best to give your run a unique session name if you are going to start a long run and possibly pause with checkpoint (c). For example, if you want to call your session "ios", in your command line type "--session ios". Ex.= "hashcat -m 1400 -a 3 --session ios backup.txt ?d?d?d?d?d?d" (No parentheses). You should see "ios" on the top line in the Status menu (s) when running.

Then to re-start the ios session you would type "hashcat --session ios --restore". This way you can use Hashcat for other runs, and then come back to your "ios" session when you please.

On the Status menu you can see the "Progress" and "Restore Point" percentages. Usually the restore point is within a few percentages of the progress point. So the time from using checkpoint (c) to the session stopping is usually a minute a two. A larger separation of the percentage would take a little longer.

Ahhh. I see. Is there anyway to change the session name if it's already running and is there anyway to figure out how long it would take to reach the checkpoint because I've had the session run overnight and no checkpoint has been reached?