Hashcat64 Insufficient memory available
Hello,
I am new to using this program, so I am probably doing something dumb. Here is my test method.

I ran hcxdumptool on The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) for a few hours, I had some on the pwn list, 0 on the err list. I am assuming my router is on the pwn list somewhere. I converted cap file to 16800, transferred to my graphics machine to test the hash cracking part. I have a 1070 and 960 on this rig. The operating system is win7 if that makes a difference.

I downloaded a few large wordlists, added my password last. The two I have tried so far are txt files, one was 5.6 gb, the other was 3.6 gb. Both tries I got this as result of running
Code:
hashcat64 -m 16800 -a 0 -w 4 wordlists.txt

Code:
OpenCL Platform #1: NVIDIA Corporation
======================================
* Device #1: GeForce GTX 1070, 2048/8192 MB allocatable, 15MCU
* Device #2: GeForce GTX 960, 1024/4096 MB allocatable, 8MCU

Counted lines in BigPasswordList.txt...Insufficient memory available
Insufficient memory available
Insufficient memory available

I am assuming this means the wordlists are just too large to fit in vram? Or am I making some other obvious error with my command?
you need to specify the hash file first (as mentioned within the first lines of --help)

hashcat -m 16800 -a 0 -w 4 hash.txt dict.txt
OMG, that was dumb, can't believe I forgot to put the hash file..... I wish the stupid cmd box was as good as terminals with copy paste/functions pressing up button and such. I might end up putting a linux version on this and dualboot to play around. Now it's actually running, thanks for pointing out my error! System kinda laggy with it running, but it's estimated time is only 2 hours 30 minutes for the largest list, that's impressive.
(07-30-2019, 07:17 PM)Thedragonmaster Wrote: System kinda laggy with it running, but it's estimated time is only 2 hours 30 minutes for the largest list, that's impressive.
You can make it take longer but have a more responsive system by changing the workload parameter. -w 1 for example will be a light load and -w 4 will make your hardware hurt.
yeah, it's hot here too, didn't take long to hit 90 degrees and quit even with 100% fans on my case and gpu's. Going to have to try -w 1 and use the restore feature I think lol.