10 years to crack a 13 character password?
(11-15-2016, 09:07 PM)royce Wrote: That's not quite how specifying a mask works. IF you don't know which characters are in which positions, you want something more like this -- first definiting a custom character set, and then using it:

-2 ?u?d ?2?2?2?2?2?2?2?2?2?2?2?2?2

I used "2" here for legibility; you can specify up to four custom character sets.

More info here:

https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=mask_attack

Thank you for the prompt response Royce! I think I understand what you are saying. My Syntax was essentially wrong? And that is correct, I am running under the assumption that we do not know what characters are in what spot. The only think we know is that the password is 13 characters and consists of Uppercase letters and numbers in a random order.

So essentially, in the second character set box, I would put -2 ?u?d ?2?2?2?2?2?2?2?2?2?2?2?2?2 

I think the GUI I used grayed out the character set boxes when I added a mask file. So I just put that line into the mask file (minus the -2 part and added a comma to separate the ?2) I will try that again when I get home from work and see what the results are. I thought I had done that at one point, but it still mentioned that it would take 5-10 years to complete.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 10 years to crack a 13 character password? - by potentshadow - 11-15-2016, 09:30 PM