How to efficiently expand charset?
I tried your methods and they didn't seem to work.  the ?1 refers to the expanded hcchr file, and the ?2 never comes into play to eliminate candidates.

The -r doesn't work with attack mode -a 3.  I tried generating an output and piping that into an -a 0 attack and using rules \X, but that only works with legacy hashcat.  I also tried -j and -k which also didn't work.

I also noticed that my original .hcchr file of ?l?u?d!@#$ does not work the way I thought.  You can't combine default charsets with custom in one file.

I figured a way to solve my original problem, maybe not in the most efficient way...

mp64.bin ?a?a?a | grep -v '[!@#$%^&*()_+-=;:"<>,."]' | hashcat -a 0 -m 13400 keepass.hash

Once that's exhausted, I add a symbol by removing it from the filter and again filter only on candidates with that symbol.  So, adding @ to the set give us this command

mp64.bin ?a?a?a | grep -v '[!#$%^&*()_+-=;:"<>,."]' | grep '@' | hashcat -a 0 -m 13400 keepass.hash

The speed is pretty similar so I don't think grep is a bottleneck in this situation.

Messages In This Thread
How to efficiently expand charset? - by ldaberko - 10-13-2023, 03:25 AM
RE: How to efficiently expand charset? - by ldaberko - 10-14-2023, 07:09 PM
RE: How to efficiently expand charset? - by royce - 10-15-2023, 10:01 PM
RE: How to efficiently expand charset? - by royce - 11-02-2023, 06:43 PM