AMD 7900XTX vs NVIDIA RTX 4090 - Large Performance Delta
A bit better MD5 benchmarks are 74.1 GH/s for the 7900XTX and 164.1 GH/s for the 4090. The main reason for this gap is simply just that NVIDIA has a monopoly on compute. AMD cards are okay for gaming but simply just not cut out for compute. AMD sucks in more ways than just performance and generally have a lot more installation/stability/driver problems than NVIDIA

Quote: - Are there more optimizations that can be done on hashcats' side regarding AMD cards?
Maybe but almost no-one that contributes to Hashcat's source code has an AMD card, mostly for the reasons mentioned above. NVIDIA is just simply the king of compute

Quote: - What is primary factor of these massive performance differences?
Lots of things but yeah, Hashcat has a fair few optimisations that are NVIDIA-only and was written with NVIDIA in mind but the drivers/HIPs just simply aren't anywhere as good as NVIDIA so there's probably little that can be done to make AMD cards act better

I know lots of people with multi-GPU, Hashcat-only rigs and I can't think of a single person that uses AMD GPUs. It's sad really. I think we all wish NVIDIA had a competitor(s) Sad

Messages In This Thread
RE: AMD 7900XTX vs NVIDIA RTX 4090 - Large Performance Delta - by penguinkeeper - 08-15-2024, 09:06 PM