Is GTX 560 Ti no longer supported by Hashcat?
According to Wikipedia, "All [GeForce 500 series] products support DirectX 12.0, OpenGL 4.6 and OpenCL 1.1."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_500_series

If it's listed as Compute Capability 2.1, does it support CUDA SDK?

I don't think there is any risk that an old version of Hashcat does not have MD5 support. These are just some basic things I'm playing with and I am new to hash cracking (a lot to learn). This donated GTX 560 Ti is one of the better GPUs that I currently have. I read that it has 384 of something called "CUDA cores" and that it's beneficial for hash cracking. So I am trying to put it to some good use. But it seems to be too old for latest version of Hashcat.

Full disclosure! I really don't know much about the topic of using GPUs for general purpose computing, parallel processing, so on, and so forth. Other than these big words and that these "cores" are highly specialized computing units in GPUs, also referred to as shading units, stream processors, and that they are somewhat comparable to cores found in a modern CPU (which I learned can offend the purists).

I seem to be able to run Hashcat 3.0 just fine on this. I'm getting 900 to 930 MH/s. I don't know if that's good or bad, I have no reference point. I can't run Hashcat 4.0 or 5.0, or 6.2.5 on it without running into warnings and errors. In fact, I am unable to run 3.0 even. The only reason I was able to run it recently is because I created a new user account and tried running it with that account and it worked. I read a post somewhere by Atom in response to another user that the warning message I was getting may be related to file system permissions or something like that. So I decided to try getting somewhat clean slate by creating a new user account and it worked. I don't think I have file system issues on my main user account, but I can't prove that.

To sum up my findings about GTX 560 Ti:

Launched 25 Jan, 2011
Open CL 1.1
Open GL 4.6
DirectX 12.0
Compute Capability 2.1
384 CUDA cores
1263.4 GFLOPS
Last Nvidia driver 391.35 from Mar 27, 2018

For version 6.2.5, Hashcat requirements state:
Quote:"NVIDIA GPUs require "NVIDIA Driver" (440.64 or later) and "CUDA Toolkit" (9.0 or later)"

I didn't read this fine print the first time I downloaded Hashcat. So am I to understand that I don't just need an Nvidia driver, I also need the full "CUDA Toolkit" experience? What do I get by downloading and installing this huge 2.4 GB CUDA Toolkit package? Hashcat won't work without it? Isn't it so that Hashcat will use Open CL instead if CUDA Toolkit (SDK) is not available?

Quote:"Intel CPUs require "OpenCL Runtime for Intel Core and Intel Xeon Processors" (16.1.1 or later)"

I mean if Open CL works for Intel CPUs it has to work for Nvidia GPUs, right? (The "16.1.1" is probably a reference to Open CL 1.1, another example of weird versioning scheme that reminds me of Java versioning.)

While I was going down the memory lane and exploring old archives, I came across some notes about Hashcat becoming open sourced (I thought it always has been) and about merging of different variants of it, as I recall some versions of "oclHashcat" were merged. I went too far back in history. But it left me with the impression that Hashcat once only worked with CPUs, and later variants worked only with GPUs, taking advantage of powerful new GPU technology like these CUDA cores. Current version of Hashcat works both with CPUs and GPUs by what I can tell, and APUs.

Anyway, to get back on topic, does Hashcat 6.2.5 support something as old as the 10 year old GTX 560 Ti? If it doesn't, that's fine. May I know what to look for in a GPU to ensure it is compatible with Hashcat?

Yes, I am interested in saving some money to buy a GPU for use with Hashcat. Can you blame me? This is addictive. But there are too many variables I have no clue about (a lot to learn). When I look at GPUs in stores, there is only marketing information (baits) for gamers on the boxes, like "DirectX 12" and innovative (fantasy) features like "Nvidia Ansel" that apparently allows you to take screenshots in games and turn them into art by some kind of Voodoo spell (pun intended). There is no information about "CUDA Cores" or about "CUDA Toolkit" version number support. I don't think Open CL is mentioned by name, but Open GL may be (sometimes). Pardon me for wishing that GPUs were sold with the label "Hashcat 6.x compatible" on them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is GTX 560 Ti no longer supported by Hashcat? - by meow - 12-19-2021, 01:35 AM