Hashcat / itunes backup help, please
Hi everybody
OK, so I'm not an IT novice at all, but I've never done any of this stuff.  I'm trying to crack, at this stage, an itunes 9.3.1 backup password for my daughter who (when first backup was ever taken at age 11) - swears she didn't create a password (yeah, I know). Hope is that if I can crack the Ver 9 password, it'll still be the same for her version 13 password, most recent backup.

I've read the forum rules and I'm aware of not posting any of my actual stuff on here, so I'll ask my question without doing that...

I have followed the AVIARY guide on youtube and compiled the manifest931.txt file which contains, as far as I can tell (I've checked it several times) the list of stuff needed for Hashcat to have a go at the password, based on a dictionary file.

I won't post the info, of course, but the 1st line of the manifest931,txt file begins $itunes_backup$*9* then followed by all the data i extracted.

I have a dictionary file called attack.txt

I'm on Windows 11 by the way if that matters

when I run 
hashcat -a 0 -m 14700 -o cracked.txt --outfile-format=2 manifest931.txt attack.txt

I get
Hashfile 'manifest931.txt' on line 1 ($itune...X7XX5XX2b3aXXbX73XXcc8f0XX4fXX63**): Token length exception

No hashes loaded.

(I hope I've successfully masked the hashes that were output in that error above, before the last two ** it put loads of numbers etc.)

So:
1. have I posted correctly and not broken any rules?  I hope :-)
2. Am I being dumb?   if so...
3. Why?

Thanks everyone, ANY help appreciated.  My daughter's phone "reset" during an upgrade last year (yeah, don't know what happened, I wasn't there) and she lost all data. Backup is encrypted, she doesn't know password.  Every single photo she's taken, including a few thousand of her cat.  Cat then died two months later., double whammy - no cat, no photos and videos.  I would *love* to solve this for her, it would make her day/week/month/year.

Any help appreciated :-)

T H A N K  Y O U

Messages In This Thread
Hashcat / itunes backup help, please - by FozzyRFC - 06-13-2022, 07:17 PM