Seeking Advice for VeraCrypt Password Recovery
Sad 
Hi there!

Just a bit of background: a year ago, I changed my VeraCrypt password and unfortunately, i forgot it. I've been attempting to recover it for the past six months using cloud GPUs, but without any success so far.

Here's what I can recollect about my password structure:
  • It starts with a numerical sequence, ~45 characters long. I know this sequence 100%
  • There might be a space after this.
  • Following that, we have a password string, an underscore, and a number.
  • This pattern (space, password string, underscore, number) repeats once more.
  • So, it's a long numerical string followed by the password potentially repeated twice, with a space possibly separating them. I'm confident about these. I also remember the PIM. I don't remember the hash mode, but I've tested all available modes.

Major difficulty is creating a custom dictionary that balances cracking time with good combinations. The other is the slow cracking speed, where, if lucky, I'm achieving 500-1000 hashes/s with cloud GPUs. Unfortunately, despite these attempts, I could not recover it. 

Up until now, here's what I've done:

1. Reviewed my password list and generated all possible combinations.
  2. Made a dictionary from scratch for dictionary attack, but with no luck.
  3. Tried to generate combinations for the possible space and the numbers following the 45 character sequence.
  4. Applied every password that I could remember.

Are there any advanced techniques or methods I haven't tried yet that could help crack the password? Would it be advisable to hire a professional password recovery service? I am not a professional. 

Is there still a realistic chance of recovering my password, given what I've tried so far?

I understand this is a complex issue and I apologize if it's beyond the scope of this forum. 

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise.

Messages In This Thread
Seeking Advice for VeraCrypt Password Recovery - by Rannek - 06-16-2023, 01:54 AM