Is it possible to get a WPA 'false positive'?
I am working through a challenge which involves gaining access to a WPA2 protected network. In short, I used airodump-ng to capture the PMKID and WPA handshake for the network, and converted this to a 22000 file. I am satisfied that I did everything correctly here because I have used this process on successful cracks many times before.

After I unsuccessfully tried some wordlists, I did some research on the type of router and saw that the default password had an 8 digit numerical mask, e.g. 12345678. I then started a mask attack which cracked the hash to a string which matches this format.

Unfortunately, my attempts to log into the network have failed. When I try and login via terminal (to see the error message) it's apparently an authentication error ('secrets required but not supplied'). I then repeated the whole process to double check my results, including by running a mask attack with the --keep-guessing flag. All attempts yielded the same password.

Is it possible that I have a 'false positive' here? I would think not... If that is the case, are there any other ways I could investigate why my connection to the network is being refused?

Messages In This Thread
Is it possible to get a WPA 'false positive'? - by sex_lion - 06-22-2023, 02:54 AM