9-10 char slow-hash brute-forcing (wallet.dat)
Brick 
Greetings!

A week ago I recovered my old wallet.dat file from 2014 which is not empty. 
I've decided to try to recover the passphrase, but the ones that could be it does not work. 
The thing is this pass is semi-random. Meaning it was generated by hand. No words etc.

Mathematically speaking it makes no sense to say that this idea seems at least naive.

If we're talking 9 chars it's 10^16 variants and 10^18 when we talk about 10 chars.

I have access to 3x4090 RTX rig. So, looking at the benchmarks I assume that my best case is 150 kH/s with 130k iterations. (Correct me if I'm wrong). Which is a drop in a bucket when we talk about 11300 mode with 9-10 chars.

Therefore there're several hints that may help lower this number:

1. Phrase is made of keys a-z, A-Z, 0-9 
2. There are 3-5 numbers in Phrase 
3. No neighbouring keys in a keyboard row, this means "s" can not be near "d" or "a" etc 
4. No more then 4 uppercase letters  
5. The phrase is 9-10 characters long

Example goes like this: h4Le8y0wR9
The supposed password is sort of a mutation from this one.

I've tried to compose the mask but it does not seem to be the optimal solution

Code:
^[^qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm]*(?:[a-z][^qwertyuiop]*[a-z][^qwertyuiop]*[a-z][^qwertyuiop]*[a-z][^qwertyuiop]*[a-z]|[^a-z])*[0-9][^0-9]*[0-9][^0-9]*[0-9][^0-9]*[0-9][^0-9]*[0-9][^0-9]*[^A-Z]*[A-Z]?[^A-Z]*[A-Z]?[^A-Z]*[A-Z]?[^A-Z]*$

I would greatly appreciate help, if maybe someone has done something like this.

Therefore I have couple of questions:

1. Is it even reasonable to try to make such a mask? Would it optimise possible output?
2. Is there any technic of mutating the password? Like changing several letters etc?

I've spent enough time researching this task and seeng the math I'm tempted to abandon it, but I want to get response from the community before I do it.

Thank you in advance!

Messages In This Thread
9-10 char slow-hash brute-forcing (wallet.dat) - by Nir Yung - 07-26-2023, 01:46 PM