One GTX1650 works on riser the other doesn't
I have been playing around with various hardware configurations to try to optimize my heating/cooling and computation speeds.  New to this so be gentle.

I have an old MB with multiple PCIe ports (5) and some old GPUs that I have been acquiring off of FB cheaply.

I have a GeForce 1060OC, a 1650 (TU106) and a 1650 (TU117) plus two Radeon 550s running simultaneously with hashcat.  I've been doing WPA stuff with mode 22000 and get in the ballpark of 650-700khps.

To help with overheating, I have experimented with some PCIe risers.  Oddly, some of the cards do not work on a riser, which I can understand, but this I do not understand and I'm hoping if someone can explain it - only 1 of the two 1650s work in a riser, the other must be mounted on the board to with with hashcat.  The error that I see is "invalid device ordinal"

The TU117 works in the riser, but the TU106 doesn't.  The 1060 also does not work on a riser, nor does a 3050.  I have moved GPUs, different risers, different slots and no joy.  Any ideas?

If I can better understand which GPUs can work with my risers and which will not, and why, I can better design the system and upgrade.

Thanks, D

Messages In This Thread
One GTX1650 works on riser the other doesn't - by skiutah02 - 08-16-2023, 08:15 AM