Combination attack + mask?
I have a zip file I'm trying to crack that I don't recall the password. I know what likely combination of words I'd use and almost certainly would put a "!" or "!!" in there. Say I know it will have "cat" "dog", "!", "!!" in any combination and possibly multiple times (in fact, I probably used the same string twice - like "dog!dog!"). I thought I could put all these into a dictionary, and call on hashcat to use the same dictionary twice :

# hashcat –m 13600 –a 1 myhash.hash mydictionary.dict mydictionary.dict

The problem is, I'd like to define the password length from 7 - 14 spaces and tell it to try all combination of upper/lowercase from my dictionary. I'd like hashcat to combine passwords in such a way that it tests 7 spaces, then 8, then 9, until it reaches 14.

For 7 spaces, it might try :

catcat!            Cat!cat        dOg!cat        dogcat!       !dogDOG

for 8 spaces :

CAT!cat!          catCAT!!      dog!dog!      cat!dOG!

for 12 spaces :

catcatcatcat     caTdogDogdog    cat!cat!cat!    cAT!dog!!DOG

etc...

It seems I'm trying to do a combination + mask attack. Docs might call this a "hybrid" attack, but I'm not seeing examples of how I can do the above. If doing upper/lower is too hard, I wouldn't mind creating a dictionary using a hashcat tool to generate all combinations of possible password for cases : cat cAT cAt CaT etc

Messages In This Thread
Combination attack + mask? - by Durka - 02-04-2024, 04:19 AM
RE: Combination attack + mask? - by Snoopy - 02-05-2024, 12:31 PM