Hashcat / Wordlist-Combinator - [truecrypt boot loader] eng dictionary?
(02-27-2024, 11:27 PM)justaq Wrote: Hello, i hope u had a nice day.

I mostly just have a question about the way hashcat interacts with the truecrypt containe in regards to the language used in the dictionary.

For instance, if u create a logical volume, u mostly shouldnt use "§" because its not part of ASCII, u still can but iam not sure how that is than handled since truecrypt gives a message, saying that it could get corrupted after "major" system changes. But if you encrypt your system drive, it will just convert that automatically into "#" withouth any warning, so the boot loader just adjust smoothly withouth much thinking.
But, in case i need to recover my boot system, and i got a series of password-combinations to test, i would need to create the wordlist with the explicit us-layout in mind even when not using an explicit us-layout keyboard and just knowing the password by tipping via muscle memory? right?

it may sound dumb .. but i am somehow really unsure about it? so i probably just ask instead of assuming something which potentially could be false.
to be clear, if its true, i need do i need to type my pw in english layout, or write it in my native layout and just replace the non-ascii parts like § or " for # and @ ... ?

thank u for reading trough it and i surely gonna appreciate if i get an answer on that topic.

best regards!

The password is always saved as if you were typing on a us-layout keyboard. That is correct. And yes, that means you have to take that into account when cracking the password. But there is a simpler way around it, depending on your keyboard layout. You can use the parameter

--keyboard-layout-mapping

Look it up in hashcat help. There's some hckmap files available in hashcat, but you can also create them yourself if yours is not present.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hashcat / Wordlist-Combinator - [truecrypt boot loader] eng dictionary? - by b8vr - 02-28-2024, 01:10 AM