Hashcat only using ~2% of GPU?
Hi! If I sound like a noobie, I apologize. It's probably because I'm a newbie. But anyways, I'm having some (I think?) troubles with Hashcat. I'm trying to use it to crack a WPA2 captured handshake password that I got with aircrack-ng using The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) Linux. I'm using Hashcat in Windows because installing the drivers in The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) was getting a bit tedious and it just wasn't working. However, it appears to be working.. sort of. It's using my GPU, which is what I wanted, and it's running a lot faster that my CPU, which is also what I wanted. (CPU got about 4,300 k/s, GPU getting around 12k) However, I don't believe Hashcat is using my GPU 100%. In fact, I think it's using about 2%. Although Hashcat says it's using 98%, Window's Resource Monitor only shows about 2-5%. On top of that, my GPU temperature hasn't changed from its normal temperature like it has when I used it to mine Bitcoin. If you have any more questions, please ask. And again, sorry if this is a stupid question or anything. Thanks!

Almost forgot! Here's my specs:

16gb of RAM
CPU: Intel i7-4700MQ 4 cores (8 logical cores) Generation 4
GPU: nVidia GT 750M 1gb memory
This is all in an Alienware 14 (2013 model) laptop. From what I've read, laptop GPUs don't have near the power of desktop GPUs, but I should be getting more than the 12k k/s I'm getting now, right?

Command I'm using: cudahashcat64.exe -m 2500 -a 0 -d 1 -o textfile.txt WPAHandshake.hccap G:\CustomWPA.txt

Thanks again!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, there is also an Intel HD Graphics 4600 built into the CPU, but the nVidia one is separate.

Messages In This Thread
Hashcat only using ~2% of GPU? - by NoahWL1 - 03-18-2015, 04:00 AM
RE: Hashcat only using ~2% of GPU? - by epixoip - 03-18-2015, 09:12 AM
RE: Hashcat only using ~2% of GPU? - by NoahWL1 - 03-18-2015, 10:28 PM
RE: Hashcat only using ~2% of GPU? - by epixoip - 03-19-2015, 02:47 AM
RE: Hashcat only using ~2% of GPU? - by NoahWL1 - 03-19-2015, 05:12 AM