Help sought for a research project
Dear all,

I'm a PhD candidate at the HighWire Centre (Lancaster University, UK). Some time ago I created this water-cooled GPU rig as part of my research into 'design fiction' (there is a photo from a talk I did at Edinburgh College of Art last year here). It ran cryptocurrency (Bitcoin and alike) mining software. With the excess heat the water is pumped through a household radiator. It is the fact that I'm using a standard white radiator that makes this thing actually quite affecting, people tend to react to it, and 'get' the point of the design fiction / speculative design.

The reason for posting here is that I want to explore other stuff that I can run on the GPUs. Cracking passwords was an obvious one. So, I've got a couple of questions.

First, I've installed oclHashcat, and, it works with the example data as far as I can tell. However, I'm kind of out of talent at this point, hence why I am asking for help here! To generate any good amount of heat in the radiator I need the GPUs (there are two, AMD 7950s) to be running flat-out for an hour or more. Is there any easy way of feeding the software a massive dataset? Or asking it to bruteforce something? Apologies if my question is rather inane... I'm playing catch up.

Second, other than running hashes/cracking passwords, does anyone have any suggestions of interesting processing that I can do with these GPUs? I realise there are various folding/SETI type applications... but, beyond those does anything come to mind?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Messages In This Thread
Help sought for a research project - by flopzie - 03-23-2015, 09:00 PM
RE: Help sought for a research project - by Rolf - 03-26-2015, 09:37 AM