Benchmark data request
... what on earth are reference design cards, how do i identify them ?
... i assumed buying a motherboard + videocard from the same vendor would be most optimal ?

With one word, no. As of right now the quality of motherboards and gpus have nothing in common. At the moment Asus builds arguably the best motherboards but beware of their "tripple-dipple-super-edition" GPUs.
What epix is trying to say is that for a professional cracking rig we strongly advise buying cards that have not been tinkered with by oems. If you have problems to spot the difference, usually vendors first release reference cards and follow up with their own altered models 1-3 month after launch.

Don't try to mix CPU and GPU. There are clear lines for which both hardware performs best. For example you CPUs clearly are more efficient at bcrypt where as GPUs clearly outperform at CPUs in MD5 and other non-salted algos.

Do you want the most bang for the buck or just the most performance? If latter go for double xeon 2660, if first check out the AMD FX 8k series but your i7 is pretty good middleground.
sch0.org

Messages In This Thread
Benchmark data request - by Jarth - 03-23-2015, 10:31 PM
RE: Benchmark data request - by epixoip - 03-23-2015, 10:41 PM
RE: Benchmark data request - by Jarth - 03-24-2015, 11:30 AM
RE: Benchmark data request - by epixoip - 03-24-2015, 07:54 PM
RE: Benchmark data request - by kartan - 03-24-2015, 06:12 PM
RE: Benchmark data request - by Jarth - 03-25-2015, 12:32 AM