nVidia GForce 8300 GS not supported
(05-17-2015, 09:57 PM)Usercore Wrote: Upp!!
i really want to get this working asap.
Theres a really good guide from nvidia about installing cuda on linux, the problem is that The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) linux is not within officially supported OS (i hadn't seen any debian distrib in the compatible OS) so there isn't official guide for The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali).

I've gotten away with using both Debian Wheezy and Jessie, but Ubuntu 14.04 is what's recommended. A rule of thumb for the future is to use Ubuntu's current LTS release.

My recommendation: That GeForce 8300 is going to be frustratingly slow, since it's a bit long in the tooth (It was originally released in 2007, and is so old that I can't even find it on gpuboss), and was a low end card that couldn't handle gaming (Except on low settings) back when it was new. If your box can handle it, you're better off getting one of NVIDIA's newer cards. Some older machines use an older PCI-E standard*, which means newer cards won't work. Be sure to check on that carefully. As for cards, you can pick a GTX 750 up on newegg for about $90-$130. While it will get left in the dust by just about anything most of the serious forum/IRC users use, it will still utterly crush the card you have right now.

To provide a reference that's gamer-centric, here's some benchmarking for your card, with new cards for comparison: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.ph...ce+8300+GS

* Going off memory (It's been a while since I regularly fooled with cast-off hardware of that vintage), I think the power draw change happened between PCI-E 2.0 and 2.1, rendering newer cards incompatible with most older boards unless the OEM or motherboard manufacturer provided a BIOS update.

Messages In This Thread
nVidia GForce 8300 GS not supported - by Usercore - 04-21-2015, 06:59 PM
RE: nVidia GForce 8300 GS not supported - by atom - 04-24-2015, 01:36 AM
RE: nVidia GForce 8300 GS not supported - by _NSAKEY - 07-07-2015, 07:16 AM