Cracking simple sentences
Ok, but let's assume I don't have such a phrase list. 

There are a few reasons for leaving aside that approach for the moment.  One reason is that I have relatively few hashes which I know or expect use such phrasing (~1400) and I don't have the bandwidth or storage space to acquire large phrase lists that might not even be useful.

The more important reason is for my own learning (and hopefully other newbies reading the forum).  In my test set of hashes, I was able to crack some phrases using the rules provided with cudaHashcat, but other hashes, which had similar pass phrases, have not been cracked (I control the accounts, so I know or am able to simply ask for the password).  Since I'm new to this, I'm having a hell of a time figuring out why the same sets of rules work on one hash but fail on others when the passwords are similarly constructed.

For example:

Using just the provided rules, I was able to crack:  Jump in the fire!
Using just the provided rules, I was NOT able to crack: Never not learning!

I can't explain the difference.  The same rules were applied in the same order, using the same wordlist, which contains all of the words in both passwords.  No rules were chained and the approach was always -a 0.  Unfortunately, since I ran through all of the rules on all of the hashes quickly, I don't know which rule worked its magic.  Re-running everything again and paying more close attention isn't really an option since I'm paying for GPU time.  I honestly didn't expect to go down this rabbit hole... but now that I have, I want to learn as much as I can.  I figure if an expert on here can narrow the approach or rules to use, I'll have a better chance of reading the rules and understanding exactly what's happening and anyone else reading the forum with the same issue might also learn something.  Once I have a grasp on the fundamentals, I can then move to n-grams and other phrase lists.

Thanks again for the advice.

Messages In This Thread
Cracking simple sentences - by Betawave - 11-17-2015, 12:39 AM
RE: Cracking simple sentences - by epixoip - 11-17-2015, 02:22 AM
RE: Cracking simple sentences - by Betawave - 11-17-2015, 04:35 AM
RE: Cracking simple sentences - by atom - 11-19-2015, 12:16 PM
RE: Cracking simple sentences - by Betawave - 11-25-2015, 01:37 AM
RE: Cracking simple sentences - by mastercracker - 11-21-2015, 10:40 PM
RE: Cracking simple sentences - by Betawave - 11-25-2015, 01:42 AM