PCI Expansion Chassis - Experiences, anyone?
(01-20-2016, 11:56 PM)jodler303 Wrote: That's true, indeed i wasn't thinking of a 16 GPU system, but 16 slots (= 8 GPUs max).

I've mentioned 16 slots from the magma chassis, which really meant to be 16 slots (therefore 8 GPUs), not 16 GPUs. To be honest, i haven't realized until your last post that you were then refering to a 16 GPU system. Having a 4-8 GPU setup in mind, I've compared the 16-slot/8-GPU Magma chassis with TYAN FT77B7015, which also is a 8 GPUs system. I'm not even daring to think about a 16-GPU setup in one box, too complex, too expensive. Even 8 GPUs in one system is complex enough. I'd rather combine multiple smaller systems than even think about building a 16 GPU system. ;-)

Considering the price tag, Cubix XPRM-G3-ELRLE doesn't really attract me. Why would i want to spend so much money for this box, if i can only put 4 GPUs inside? Thats $900 per GPU, so basically more than the investment per GPU (considering GTX 980 or 980ti which are kinda 500-700ish).

Unfortunately, you haven't mentioned anything about the idea with PICMG 1.3 for a 4-8 GTX 980 setup. - That's expensive too, for sure, but for me that sounds pretty good, as long as i put 7-8 GPUs inside and the price tag is comparable to the TYAN box.  Have you ever tried a setup like this?  If yes, what makes the tyan box better?  I'm not asking this to provoke, i'm trying to understand.
If we're  talking about double digits setup, i dont see why we stick with the limitation with air cooling. 

16 slots can support 16 cards fine. Just cut off the output plates....

Messages In This Thread
RE: PCI Expansion Chassis - Experiences, anyone? - by mamexp - 02-12-2016, 05:17 AM