Clarifying Attack Type for PW Type
Hello all,

I am fairly new to this but have read through the Wiki and tutorial and wanted to make sure I'm understanding the various approaches correctly. I'm taking a cyber security course and learning about passwords and hashes, and wanted to try this on my own using my home network for testing.

I was able to capture the handshake for my home network and have the hccap file. For testing purposes, I put my password into the middle of a large word-list and I was able to get the dictionary-style attack to work.

My main question is, since my password is a bunch of random characters (for example: 8Gy69BZs), would I want to try to use a Brute-Force style attack for that?

Based on the wiki, it looks like I should run the following:

oclHashcat64.exe -m 2500 -a3 capture.hccap ?d?d?d?d?d?d?d?d

Am I correct in understanding this will run through every potential character and eventually should find my example password above? I know this would probably take a substantial amount of time, but if I'm on the right path I'd like to create a new password that's shorter just to test.

Sorry if this answer is already well explained somewhere, I've been trying to keep up but there's a lot to keep track of Sad

Messages In This Thread
Clarifying Attack Type for PW Type - by jcleary47 - 04-29-2016, 09:13 PM