10 years to crack a 13 character password?
(11-16-2016, 01:23 AM)Pixel Wrote: 36 ^ 13 is a huge keyspace to brute force on WPA and at 28,800 H/s it won't happen, even if you go at 1 million h/s still won't happen, unless the key is very near the beginning.

Oh and it's way way over 10 years, more like millions of years, hashcat won't show what it is when higher than 10 years.

You can easily work it out.  

36 ^ 13 / 28,800 / 60 / 60 / 24 / 365 = over 187 million years to cover the whole keyspace.

(note: ' ^ '  = to the power of)

Haha I was always bad at math, but that makes plenty of sense. I don't know what I was thinking.

Quote:For the E2500, you might not even need to go after the WPA2 key from a handshake.

Check this out:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/294...twork.html

Also, I know the E1000 was very susceptible to Reaver attacks.  I don't know about the E2500, but the situation could be similar.  If WPS is on, it would be WAY more efficient to attack WPS than any WPA2 password.

Also, are you absolutely certain that it is a 13 digit password and not a 14 digit password?

Thank you sir, very interesting read. I will have to do some research on the web.

Quote:
Don't BF WPA if you don't have any information about how the key was generated (like some routers keys base on their mac address etc). Otherwise use wordlists + rules

Hi Atom! I was afraid someone would say that. So I suppose it takes some detective work before hand and seeing if there is any exploit for that particular router before you go in a BF something. I have no idea why I was under the impression that BF would be much quicker, and for that, I am sorry I took up Forum Space. So its true then, word lists are still the most effective method for the most part. Unless as you said, I have an idea how the password would have been generated.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 10 years to crack a 13 character password? - by potentshadow - 11-16-2016, 06:07 PM