Table-Lookup Attack Possible Typo
I have been struggling for some time to get the table Table-Lookup Attack working and I believe the code on the following page is wrong.

http://hashcat.net/wiki/table_lookup_attack

There it says use “--table-name=FILE” presumably “FILE” meaning the actual file name you intend to use. After many hours I think the actual code required is “--table-file ” then the actual location and name of the table file.

I am quite prepared to accept that I am wrong but could you please confirm I have this right and if so please change the wiki page ?

Would it be possible on each wiki page to display an entire line of code so new users can see things in context ? Perhaps for this page you could print the following example for other new users like myself to easier understand.

To create a list of modified passwords using hashcat and the table rules of your choice.

hashcat-cli32.exe --attack-mode 5 --table-file exampletable.table --stdout wordlist >> result.txt

--attack-mode 5 = MD5
exampletable.table = your table file.
--stdout = output to screen or file.
wordlist = your list of passwords.
>> result.txt = output to file called result.txt

It seemed necessary to enter an attack mode even though I just wanted to make a new password list, I wonder if that is right ?

Also could I ask if I intend to use hashcats ability to use tables and pipe the output to hashcatplus to test WPA which attack mode would be best to select for hashcat ? My reason for asking is that I am trying to reduce the workload as mush as possible in hashcat as it is being used in conjunction with hashcatplus.

Thank you.

Messages In This Thread
Table-Lookup Attack Possible Typo - by Hash-IT - 11-13-2011, 01:40 PM
RE: Table-Lookup Attack Possible Typo - by atom - 11-13-2011, 07:11 PM
RE: Table-Lookup Attack Possible Typo - by atom - 11-14-2011, 04:37 PM