Cracking a BIP38 bitcoin wallet
About 3 years ago I created a BIP38 (Specifications) protected bitcoin wallet which uses scrypt to protect against brute force attacks. Unfortunately the password I have been thinking I used all these years turns out to be incorrect. I know it is a variation of a particular thing... but I can't remember the variation.

I am a .NET developer with very little experience in cryptography so I'm trying to grasp the concepts and hope I'm going down the right road. I've already developed a program in C# which can step through word lists I've created, but it is slow (I know scrypt is meant to be slow) and I would like to speed it up if possible. I also want to develop a program that runs on Linux so I can take advantage of AWS lower prices on Linux instances to create a distributed solution.

Are there any clear methods I should be using? Can Hashcat help me with the scrypt portion of the bip38 algorithm? I've looked at Hashstack and I see they use the CPU for cracking scrypt... is a GPU really not appropriate for cracking scrypt?

Any help would be appreciated. The advantage I have here is time... I wasn't planning on doing anything with these Bitcoins for years down the road so I'm willing to put in the time to come up with a good solution.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Messages In This Thread
Cracking a BIP38 bitcoin wallet - by Bitforgetter - 05-30-2017, 12:15 AM